There has been a lot of excitement in the Potter World this week – celebrating Harry’s birthday and the release of “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” (which everyone needs to read ASAP). So I felt it was only fitting to dedicate today’s Throwback Thursday post to my visit to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando, Florida.
I am sure I have mentioned before that I am a complete Potter nerd (and proud of it). You may remember my previous post about visiting the Harry Potter Studios in London, but my first visit to Hogwarts happened back in 2011 at Universal Studios Orlando.
My trip to Orlando was a bit chaotic due to the fact that I was travelling with a school group. Our main reason for being there was to compete in the International DECA Competition. We had to schedule our itinerary around competition times, but we lucked out and got a whole day to spend in Universal Studios.
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter had not been open for long when we went, and it was EXTREMELY busy. We got to the park early and headed straight there. By the time we had done everything and were ready to head to the rest of the park, it was really getting packed.
Despite the crowds of crazed fans (I include myself in that number), it was simply magical! We did pretty much everything that was there at the time – a lot has been added since then. There are a few things that, in my opinion, absolutely cannot be missed.
Kaycie’s Harry Potter World Must-Do List:
- Drink Butterbeer. Have two if you must! There are so many copycat Butterbeer recipes out there (believe me – I have tried them all), but none compare to the real deal that can only be found in the Universal Studios Orlando and California or the London Studio Tour.
- Buy candy from Honeydukes. I personally recommend a Chocolate Frog or some classic Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor beans, but if you don’t fancy those, there are plenty of other sweets to choose from.
- Ride Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. Not only is the ride fantastic, but waiting in line is just as entertaining as you walk through the different rooms of Hogwarts Castle.
- Get a wand from Ollivanders. Nothing makes you feel more like a real wizard or witch than the moment when your wand chooses you. You won’t regret making this stop, but you will regret skipping it!
- Ride the Hogwarts Express. This was not an attraction when I visited but is something I can’t wait to go back and do. We were able to get a picture with the conductor though!
The most important thing to remember when visiting The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is to have fun, and don’t let the Muggles get you down!
Before I go, I must apologize for the photos in this post. I did the best I could at the time with my point-and-shoot camera, but the quality is not the best! Nevertheless, I hope all you Potter fans out there had a fantastic week of celebration!
Written by Kaycie Jordan.
*All photos in this blog article are taken by and property of Kaycie Jordan.