As a girl with three brothers, I love spending time with my boys; however, we all know that every once in a while, you just need a girls’ night. Since we’ve been friends for a couple years, Kaycie and I have gotten pretty good at planning and carrying out great girls’ nights.
Now, one of the lovely things about a girls’ night is that it can vary to fit your needs and desires. Do you feel like going to a movie? Do it! Did a fun new store just open up down the street? Check it out! Do you need to just stay in, talk, and share some cookies? Go for it! Below are just a few of my tips on how to plan a perfect girls’ night:
Okay, food is pretty essential in girls’ night. Kaycie and I have a few go-to options:
- Go out to eat. Whether you decide on an old favorite or a new place that you’ve been dying to try, going out to eat can be lots of fun.
- Get some takeout. This is ideal if you want to get some great food but enjoy it at home (or elsewhere). There are so many good places that offer takeout – no need to stick to Chinese or fast food! Last time Kaycie and I had a girls’ night, we got some amazing Italian food from Oregano, a local restaurant in Provo.
- Make something. I like to cook, and Kaycie is a great cook. Don’t be shy to make something to eat together!
- Get some treats. As Kaycie can attest to, sometimes we really just need to get frozen custard.
Neither Kaycie nor I drink alcohol, but we do have a drink requirement for girls’ night: Sodalicious! These soda places are getting ever more popular in Utah, and we really love Sodalicious. No girls’ night (or blog night) is complete without stopping to get some great drinks at Sodalicious. If you’re heading to Sodalicious and need some recommendations, our favorites include Your Mom, By Common Consent, Jojo’s Mojo, and Castaway. Let us know if you’re a Sodalicious fan too and what your favorite mix is!
Let’s be honest – girls’ night is the perfect time to enjoy a chick flick. If your brothers (or boyfriend or husband or guy friends) are like mine, then they don’t always want to watch a chick flick with you. There is NO SHAME in watching a good chick flick once in a while, so take advantage!
Of course, going to see a new movie at the cinema can be a fun option for girls’ night. You know that romantic comedy you’ve seen the trailers for and it seemed kinda cheesy yet fun and cute? Go see it!
If you want to stay in, however, here are just a few of our favorite movies for girls’ night:
- Austenland (2013) – If you haven’t seen this, please watch it! It has everything – humor, romance, and a bit of quirkiness that’s just lovely. (As you can see in the photo above, Kaycie and I watched Austenland during our most recent girls’ night.)
- Pride & Prejudice – We have options here. My favorite Pride & Prejudice is the 1995 BBC/A&E version with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. Sigh. Kaycie favors the 2005 version with Keira Knightley. There’s the Bollywood version (2004), called Bride & Prejudice, and then there’s a modern-day version (2003) of Pride & Prejudice set in Utah, which is hilariously corny. Pick one. You really can’t go wrong with Pride & Prejudice.
- Other Jane Austen movies – In my opinion, Jane Austen movies were made for girls’ nights. A couple of my other Jane Austen favorites are Sense & Sensibility (1995) and Emma (1996).
- Magic in the Moonlight (2014) – This movie features Colin Firth and Emma Stone, is set in France, and is just plain delightful.
- Older movies – Consider checking out some old classics starring greats like Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, Doris Day, Rock Hudson, etc. Some of our favorites are Roman Holiday, Charade, Sabrina, Casablanca, Pillow Talk, and That Touch of Mink.
Shopping is never a bad choice for girls’ night. Sometimes you need one (or more) of your best girl friends to go shopping with you for some advice and just for fun. One of our favorite spots for girls’ night shopping is Charming Charlie. If you’ve never been there, we highly recommend you check it out! Your life will never be the same. Sincerely.
Those are the main ingredients for a perfect girls’ night. What are your recommendations for a great girls’ night?
Written by Caroline Larson.
*All photos in this blog article are taken by and property of Caroline Larson and Kaycie Jordan.